1. Introduce yourself(tell about yourself & who you are)
– For starters, I’d prefer to be called JM Gonzales (yes, do not expound what JM means; a literal hamartia.) I’m turning 24 this year, and I’m still living under my sister’s roof. I’m currently taking up Advertising Arts from USC. Virgo Sun, Aries Moon, Gemini Rising, with lots of Leo placements in the rest of my chart. I get ridiculously guilty when I idle, I love lumpia, I have a rabbit (who I will die for), and I love to read books (YA fantasy, sometimes smut, sometimes weird genres.) I hate being confused, and I hate when someone hovers over me (without consent.) I am very assertive in everything I do, and I am quite the passive-aggressive when provoked. I love warm things, and I seek to be the best version of myself every day.
2. What inspired you to get into the creative art world I noticed you are aspiring to be a graphic designer & illustrator?
– When I was in middle school and high school, I always excelled in almost a lot of subjects (Math, Science, English, History, name it.) When the time came for me to decide the program I wanted to pursue, I wondered, “Where am I not so good at?” I think that was my general precursor. I always found myself lacking in the artistic aspect, specifically in the industry-related niches (although I dance and do makeup) and that motivated me to be better at that. So I took a leap of faith, and that’s what caused my journey and that is the reason I am where I am right now. I didn’t expect to actually be capable at what I do, but it was a really rough road. Just glad that I’m always striving to improve.
3. What are some goals in life you’d like to complete?
– Number one on my list is to graduate. I need to have that sense of accomplishment that graduating will somehow give me. Next would be becoming financially stable. I grew up not getting what I wanted, and I owe it to my younger self to be filthy rich so that I could spoil myself and compensate for the mess of the childhood I had. I also want to repay the efforts of my sister, who has been there with me through thick and thin, unconditionally. And as funny as it may sound, I also want to be better for the man I love. I want a lifetime partner who’ll see me beyond the walls that I put up, someone who makes me feel safe, someone who loves every flaw and crevice of mine, someone I can trust, and someone I surely love without hesitation.
4. What are some words of wisdom that motivate you everyday?
– Always fix your bed after waking up. I think that helped me organize my somewhat messy life. Once I start the day with fixing my bed, I think I can conquer the world. I also reassure myself a lot with words of forgiveness and understanding (since I don’t get that often from a lot of people.) Lastly, is to always have a sense of purpose. Everything I do has to have an intention, and some truth as to why I do it. That way, I won’t get lost amidst all the tugging of life.
5. What is a positive message you’d like to give to others who want to do what you do?
– Patience. I am NOT a fantastic artist, for starters. I’ve always struggled a lot (even until now) but I was always patient with myself. Patience can build up to never giving up. That determination, once fortified by patience, will make you unstoppable. Also, don’t compare yourself with others except yourself. Stop beating yourself up over things that you can’t do immediately. Perfectionism will be your demise.
6. What are some mental struggles you’ve faced in life and how did you overcome them?
– Failure. Anxiety. Overthinking. Random waves of sadness. It’s really difficult to overcome them because there’s no standard way to do it. But I will say this: once you know how to identify what you feel, and you validate what you feel, you’ll cope with it better. I do what works well for me and that is to express myself in other channels (art, dance, catering to my other hobbies, etc.) and I also talk to myself a lot! But if you have the means, go seek help. It’ll be much better. Lastly, never be afraid to reach out to others. Do not isolate yourself if you can’t handle it.
7. What other things would you like to tell the world about you?
– As composed as I might seem, I still fear a lot of things, most especially the uncertain. I always ask for guidance, be it divine or social guidance. I’m also a bit stupid at times, which I actually learned to love about myself. I am intensely passionate of a lot of things. I am so much more than what I’m letting you all see. I rarely get relaxed, so if you’re someone who can make me feel at ease, chances are you’re my friend. I also love unconditionally (which my friends think is my big red flag) but I think it’s great to love without expectations and to love genuinely. And also, I wish that someday, everything that happened to me will somewhat make sense. I hope that everything I’m doing right now, is making that younger and much more innocent JM proud.
Leave a Reply